Monday, July 14, 2014

White Washed in Yaounde

So it's official! I'm in Yaoundé Cameroon. I am co-zone leader with Elder Brockbank. It's been a crazy week! We are whitewashing our sector, and the missionaries before us never wrote in the area book and didn't really have any investigators. So needless to say we have been doing a LOT of contacting. This week we spent hours doing door to door contacting. We only take numbers if it's legitimately a potential investigator but we managed to take 28 numbers! We only had 9 lessons. So it was a little rough this week. We did a lot of walking. And it just so happens that Yaounde has a TON of hills. And they are steep. So I will probably start losing a little bit of the weight that I've put on haha. But needless to say this week has been an incredible learning experience for me. Missionaries in our mission are kind of afraid to do contacting because it is hard work and we already have a lot of people to teach. This week I learned a lot about that. And we have seen a lot of miracles. Neither of us have ever even been in this city but we are already starting to figure out our sector. But we don't have the luxury of having addresses. It has been a really incredible experience. Exhausting, but incredible. If all of our appointments that we have planned for this next week go through we will have 21! And today we are going to FHE with the branch president, President Zang. So he is going to coordinate the efforts with the branch to help us out. The branch here is incredible. It works like a branch should. They really understand how this stuff works. I'm really excited to work here.

So I didn't send an email on monday because I was in an airplane going to Douala and taking a bus to Yaounde. So I didn't get a chance to write home. I sent one on Saturday, but apparently it didn't send. But because we got here on monday we had a whole week of being lost before we could coordinate effectively with the branch. But I think now things are going to work a lot better. 
The temperature here is really nice. It's cold season. It is really nice here. There are a lot of nice buildings here and nice stores. Including an American store, which apparently is supposed to have contact solution. So I'm going to check that out and see if I can get some. That would make things a lot easier. The apartment is really nice too. But it is on the third floor. So we walk up and down hills and stairs everyday haha. But it's all good. It will get me back into shape. 
Funny story by the way. You were talking about the chocolate game and that reminded me of something Elder Ralison told me. In Madagascar they play the same game! I was amazed! It was so funny! But they will use anything, even things like brownies and stuff haha. 
Well I'm really glad that everyone hasn't forgotten about me haha. It feels like I have been here for so long! 
Sorry I forgot my camera this week, but next week I will send pictures. I got a lot of goodbye pictures in Pointe Noire with recent converts and investigators. Unfortunately, because I left on Monday, I didn't really get to say goodbye to as many people as I would have liked to. 
Yeah the 4th of July was really fun. They were real hotdogs. It was 2 dollars for a package of 10. You'd be surprised the kinds of things you can find here. 
So this last week we had a lot of really cool experiences. We met a lot of incredible people, and we really saw the hand of the Lord in everything we were doing. 
This Friday President Monga is coming to do a zone conference. That will be really cool to meet him. We've already talked to him on the phone a couple times, but it'll be fun to meet him in person. We went to send in our numbers for the zone yesterday but because it's a new mission we didn't have the AP's number. So we had to call President and ask him haha. But this next week should be a really good week. There are a lot new missionaries here. The city needs a little bit of a kickstart. The missionaries kinda fell into a rut the last couple transfers but now we are going to dig it back out and bring it up to it's potential. It'll be a really good experience.
As far as things I need. I wouldn't mind if when you sent packages you slipped in some real deodorant or a white shirt or something like that. The deodorant here doesn't work very well. And my shirts are starting to get a little colorful haha. Other than that I think I'm ok. 
Anyway, this has been a crazy week! Sounds like things are staying nice and busy for you guys too. I'm glad to hear that everything is going good though. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment